Home/Buildings, HiRes, Nederlands, New, Ruin Teylingen, Sassenheim, South-Holland, Teylingen/The ruin castle Teylingen in Sassenheim in the Netherlands.

The ruin castle Teylingen in Sassenheim in the Netherlands.


The ruin castle Teylingen in the south-holland village of Sassenheim in the Netherlands.

  • Size: 6720 x 4480 pixels
  • Format: .jpg
  • Location: Sassenheim, Teylingen, South-Holland, the Netherlands
  • Date: 2020
  • Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
  • Lens: Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II
  • Copyright: misign ontwerp


Teylingen Castle, locally known as “Kasteel Teylingen” or “the Teylinger Ruin) lies in the village of Sassenheim, in the province of South-Holland in the Netherlands.

The castle is a ruin of a round water stronghold dating from the early 13th century. The ruin, which was the original residence of the Lords of Teylingen, served as protection for the Rhine dike and the road from Leiden to the city of Haarlem. In 1282 the fief fell to the Counts of Holland because the Lords of Teylingen had no direct heirs. The keep, which is part of the circular curtain wall, dates from this period.

Later the castle functioned as a hunting lodge and a forester’s residence for the Counts of Holland. The most famous forester was Jacqueline, Countess of Hainaut, who resided there during the last years before her death. She died there on October 9, 1436.

During the 80 Years War, especially during the period from 1572 to 1574, the castle was heavily damaged.

In 1605 restoration commenced. Around 1614 the residential tower was restored and a more comfortable residence was built in front. In 1676 the roof of the keep was destroyed in a fire. Ever since the keep and the curtain wall were left in disrepair. Until the occupation of The Netherlands by the French, the castle kept its function of a forester’s residence.

In 1801 Teylingen Castle and the surrounding buildings were sold, with the stipulation that the keep and the curtain wall couldn’t be demolished. In 1857 two squires Van Teylingen (no direct descendants) bought the remaining parts at a public auction.

The ruins once again became property of the Dutch state in 1888. After this the preservation of the castle was mainly aimed at consolidation.

In 1975 the Teylingen Castle Foundation was founded. One of the aims of this foundation is to make the ruins a living element in the bulb Area in The Netherlands once again. At the initiative of this foundation the partially filled in moat was dug out and the entrance bridge was reconstructed.

At present Teylingen Castle can be visited for a small fee but only on appointment.

De ruïne van het kasteel Teylingen in de plaats Sassenheim (gemeente Teylingen) is een ronde waterburcht. Oorspronkelijk was er slechts sprake van een ringmuur; de donjon werd later toegevoegd.

De burcht bestaat uit de rondburcht op een kasteeleiland omgeven door een brede gracht. Aan de binnenzijde van de muur zijn grote spaarbogen te zien, waarop een weergang is aangebracht. Tegen de muur is ook het massieve woongebouw opgetrokken. Het is nu een lege romp, maar vroeger had het vier bouwlagen, waarvan de eerste was overwelfd. In het interieur zijn de balkgaten van de bovenste vloeren nog te zien.

Extra informatie


Canon EOS 5D Mark IV


6720 × 4480 pixels


Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II


Sassenheim, South-Holland, The Netherlands



Ga naar de bovenkant